City Councilor-At-Large Justin McLaughlin submitted his letter of resignation to the City Clerk last Thursday, that vacancy could soon be filled by someone that’s no stranger to a position on the Newport City Council.
UPDATE: 3pm on February 29th – Councilor Justin McLaughlin Recinds Resignation
What’sUpNewp has confirmed that Harry Winthrop, former Newport Mayor and City Councilor-At-Large, has expressed interest in the position and has asked the remaining City Council members for their support.
During the public solicitation process, Winthrop (and any other applicant) would need support from at least members in order to be considered for the position.
Winthrop finished fifth among the seven Councilor-At-Large candidates back in the election back in November of 2014, leaving him off of the council.
McLaughlin’s resignation is effective February 29th, 2016, Newport City Council will hold a special meeting of the Council on Tuesday, March 1, 2016, at the Newport Police Department to discuss the Council vacancy, process for public solicitation of applicants and issues related.
The Charter for the City Of Newport states that any vacancies arising from resignation in the membership of the Council shall be filled by four affirmative votes of the remaining members of the Council within thirty days after the Council learns of the vacancy or, in the event of a tie vote or inability to elect, the vacancy shall be filled as soon thereafter as possible by a majority vote of all the remaining members of the Council; provided, however, the Council shall provide for the public solicitation of applicants.
All seven positions on the City Council are up for re-election on November 8, 2016.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits