Photo by Ainhoa Sanchez/Volvo Ocean Race
Here’s a look at some of the great things happening, new, and to do in and around Newport this May!
1. newportFILM presents Eating Animals – May 3: newportFILM will present Eating Animals at the Casino Theater. Eating Animals tells the story of the beginning of the end of factory farming. The film is the feature-length adaptation of Jonathan Safran Foer’s critically acclaimed book of the same name that starts out with a simple question — where do our eggs, dairy, and meat come from? More info at https://www.newportfilm.com/film-events/films/eating-animals.
2. Undressing History: Women’s Clothes and Unmentionables – May 3: The Newport Historical Society and the Rhode Island Historical Society are pleased to partner for their first 2018 joint History Space talk when they present Undressing History: Women’s Clothes & Unmentionables from the 19th Century. During this program in Newport, RI historical costumer Carrie Midura will share some of the secrets (and stuffing) that were hidden beneath the leg-o-mutton sleeves and shelf-like bustle gowns of the 19th century. More info at https://bit.ly/2jk8JNJ
3. 3rd Annual Old School Prom – May 4: The time has come once again for the annual Mixx 99.3 Old School Prom. That’s right they are throwing it back to the good ole days on Friday, May 4th at the beautiful Atlantic Resort. This year, they are going bigger & better with even more ways to win your way in! Make sure you listen every weekday from 8 am-8 pm for your 7 daily chances to win tickets to the most exclusive party of the year. More info at https://bit.ly/2FvEThZ
4. 16th Annual Spring Celebration at Newport Vineyards – May 5: Sip, savor and toast to the seasons’ newest wine releases at our 16th Annual Spring Celebration! A day full of grape stomping, wine tasting, potato sack racing goodness. Enjoy live music from the Blue Light Bandits while sipping on our new releases and noshing on food created by scratch from our culinary team (food items available for purchase). Feeling competitive? You could be called to compete in our Grape Stomp Competition OR our Potato Sack Race Through the Vines! Or simply relax and capture the memories with a photo of you and one of TEN31 Productions live wine statues. More info at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/16th-annual-spring-celebration-tickets-44037784198
5. Kentucky Derby Party at Ochre Court – May 5: The Star Kids Scholarship Program, Newport/Fall River, will host their annual gala on Saturday, May 5th, 2018 at Ochre Court in Newport, 5:00 PM – 9:00 PM. This year’s gala will be a Kentucky Derby Party; come watch the races, in style, on a big screen! The event highlights include live bluegrass music by The Bagmen, delicious Kentucky-style food, and a full open bar. Guest tickets are $125 if purchased by April 7th, and $150 if purchased after April 7th. Funds raised at the Kentucky Derby party will support the program’s work of giving at-risk children in Newport County / Fall River the chance to realize their potential through education More info at http://www.starkidsprogram.org/starkidsnfr/gala-2018/
6. Portsmouth’s Farm-To-Farm Bike Ride – May 5: The First Annual Portsmouth Farm-to-Farm Bike Ride is Saturday, May 5th 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM Lovely Middle Road, lined with six family farms, will be CAR FREE so families, friends, and neighbors can enjoy the experience of riding together. The short four-mile ride will be delightful for riders of all ages and abilities. Walkers and strollers are welcome to join as well. More info at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/farm-to-farm-bike-ride-tickets-45112481647
7. 80’s Dance Party Fun(d)raiser for Sea Rose Montessori at the Rotunda Ballroom at Easton’s Beach – May 5: Join us to dance the night away to the best of the 80’s and support the Sea Rose Montessori School as we expand to welcome more students Crimped hair and neon highly encouraged! Your ticket gets you a “Sea Rose” Margarita, delicious light bites and DJ Nook spinning your favorite 80’s singles. More info at https://searosemontessori.com/product/rock-the-80s-ticket/.
8. World Premiere of Survivors of Malmedy at Jane Pickens Theater – May 5: The Documentary Survivors of Malmedy: December 1944 Narrated by The Star of NBC’s Drama Chicago P.D. Jason Beghe will permiere on May 5th in Newport At Jane Pickens Theater & Event Center. Survivors of Malmedy: December 1944 tells the story of the World War II massacre of 84 American soldiers in the Malmedy, Belgium area on December 17, 1944, during the opening days of the famous “Battle of the Bulge.”. More info at http://janepickens.com/shows/survivors-of-malmedy-december-1944
9. 2018 New England Rugby Cup – May 5 & 6: The NERFU New England Rugby Cup once again takes place at the beautiful Fort Adams State Park. Join Newport Ruby Football Club for a weekend of the best rugby New England has to offer. More info at https://bit.ly/2HLBzAF
10. Annual Island National Police Parade – May 6: The parade features over 4,000 law enforcement participants to commemorate National Police Week. The parade starts on West Main Road going towards Newport. More info at http://www.policeparade.org/.
11. Birds & Breakfast 2018 at Norman Bird Sanctuary – May 6: Treat your family to a seasonal gourmet breakfast, with sweeping views over Paradise Valley and Rhode Island Sound. Chef Rich Silvia from The White Horse Tavern will prepare a scrumptious breakfast buffet, with organically grown ingredients donated by local farmers and markets. Explore the hiking trails on a guided bird walk with expert naturalists. Children of all ages can learn spring-themed nature crafts and enjoy live animal presentations, including animal ambassador Hunter, the red-tailed hawk! More info at https://bit.ly/2KrCUPj
12. Volvo Ocean Race Newport Stopover – May 8 – 20: The Volvo Ocean Race is often described as the longest and toughest professional sporting event in the world, sailing’s toughest team challenge and one of the sport’s Big Three events, alongside the Olympics and America’s Cup. Newport will once again welcome the Volvo Ocean Race and more than 100,000 fans in its 13th edition in May. More info at http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/ports/newport.html.
13. Speaker Series presents Onne van der Wal at Seamen’s Church Institute – May 9: Onne van der Wal of Newport, Rhode Island is one of the most prolific and talented marine photographers in the world of sailing. As the bowman and engineer aboard the Dutch maxi-boat Flyer II, van der Wal won all four legs of the 1981-82 Whitbread Round the World Race. Along the way, he took his camera with him everywhere he went, even to the top of the mast and the end of the spinnaker pole. More info at https://bit.ly/2rdOlC9
14. May Newport Gallery Night – May 10: This May, soak up the warm weather on gallery night and enjoy the world-class sailing event, Volvo Ocean Race. Gallery night will take place on May 10, 2018, from 4:00 to 8:00 pm. FREE guided walking tours will be happening (weather permitting). More info at https://bit.ly/2HGMOio
15. Newport Vineyards Scratch Series: Bloodies & Brunchin – May 10: Newport Vineyard’s Scratch Series opens the doors to their our kitchens for an up-close instruction on how we run a 100% from-scratch culinary program by their Executive Chef Andy Teixeira. You will be welcomed with a bloody mary bar (wahoo!) and learn how to make your own bloody mary mix. Then head into their kitchen to learn how to make breakfast tarts two ways, followed by light fare made from your creations and wine. More info at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/scratch-series-bloodies-and-brunchin-tickets-43345520619
16. Chasing Shackleton – An evening with Tim Jarvis at The Casino Theatre – May 10: Join Tim Jarvis as he presents his present-day journey retracing the steps of Sir Ernest Shackleton’s legendary 1916 Polar Exploration. Described by many as “the greatest survival journey of all time.” Tim’s ﬁrst-hand account will leave you amazed and inspired! Cocktail reception followed by Tim’s presentation & a not-to-miss auction featuring truly unique Shackleton-related items including a trip to South Georgia, a one-of-a-kind Newport sailing adventure with Tim aboard the Alexandra Shackleton, collectible whisky, and original expedition paintings, photographs, and memorabilia, many of which are donated and signed by Sir Ernest’s granddaughter, the Honorable Alexandra Shackleton. More info at https://bit.ly/2HFrqK7
17. Newport Little League’s Annual Fundraiser at O’brien’s Pub – May 11: Newport Little League’s annual fundraiser benefits Newport Little League’s baseball, softball and T-ball programs. Featuring a wide array of raffle and auction items! More info at https://bit.ly/2r8hyh0
18. Mother’s Day in Newport – May 13: Mother’s Day is on Sunday, May 13th, and chances are that you’re scrambling around at the last minute looking to make those plans to celebrate your beautiful and amazing Mom! Here’s a look at where to dine and what to do with Mom on her very special day; Where to dine with mom on Mother’s Day
19. Bike Love Film Party at Jane Pickens Theater – May 17: A broad mix of bike tales dances across the screen as you immerse yourself in the world of cycling. This year’s collection includes a stunning collection of fun, lighthearted films, as well as pieces that showcase how bikes are changing lives. These tales highlight stories from all over the globe. More Info at https://bit.ly/2FwpeP6
20. 3rd Annual Bowen’s Wharf Oyster Festival – May 18 – 20: Bowen’s Wharf will host the 3rd annual Newport Oyster Festival on May 18 – 20 to promote Rhode Island-grown oysters. This will be your big chance to slurp oysters from all over Rhode Island, meet the growers, the shuckers and generally be a part of a feel-good festival where you’ll actually be helping our aquaculture and local environment! More info at http://www.bowenswharf.com/events.
21. Bike To Work Day – May 18: Bike to Work Day is an annual event held on the on May 18th all around the world promoting bicycling for daily transportation. Here in Newport, we’ve been celebrating Bike to Work Day since 2011. More info at https://bit.ly/2HIvtBq
22. Royal Wedding Breakfast at Jane Pickens Theater – May 19: Celebrate the Royal Wedding of Prince Harry & Meghan Markle with our whole community at Jane Pickens Theater. More info at http://janepickens.com/shows/royal-wedding-breakfast.
23. James Montgomery Band, with Duke Robillard & Muddy Ruckus at Elks Club – May 19: PB&J Productions and The House of Elks present The James Montgomery Band with special guest Duke Robillard.& featuring Muddy Ruckus. This great music event is also a fundraiser for the Elks Charities More info at https://bit.ly/2I4QKIR
24. Spring Plant Walk at Norman Bird Sanctuary – May 19: This family-friendly walk is a great way to celebrate spring! Join your naturalist guide on a botanical search for blooming flowers and other plants waking up from winter along the trails. More info at https://bit.ly/2HMroMQ.
25. Crawfish Boil at Stoneacre Tapas – May 21: Celebrate the start of summer with a Lousiana-style Crawfish Boil at Stoneacre Tapas on Monday, May 21st starting at 6:30 pm! More info at https://bit.ly/2rcW2bX
26. 12th Annual Golf & Tennis Tournament – May 22: The Pennfield School’s 12th Annual Golf and Tennis Tournament will be held at The Carnegie Abbey Club, New England’s finest sporting estate More info at https://bit.ly/2w1BZlw