Go to ...

Your source for what’s happening in Newport County and across RI

RSS Feed

October 19, 2018

Built Before 1765: Oldest Buildings in Newport, RI


David Braman, Sr. House (1706)

After Image

Located at 18 Thames Street

The David Bramen Sr. House is unique in that, although small and originally built c.1706 on the hall/chamber plan, it clearly represents three distinct periods of early architectural style.

The house is on its original site and was purchased by the Newport Restoration Foundation (NRF) in 1969. It was restored in 1971-72. More Info

Source for info and image: Newport Restoration Foundation

The Simon Pease House (1700)

After Image

Located at 32 Clarke Street

The Simon Pease House is one of the earliest buildings in the architectural collection of the Newport Restoration Foundation (NRF). Built c.1700, it has a seventeenth-century frame and interior.

The exterior treatment reflects the style of the second quarter of the eighteenth century. This type of modernization of early houses was not uncommon in Newport.

The building is on its original site and was purchased by NRF in 1969 and restored in 1971. More Info

Source for info and image: Newport Restoration Foundation

Buffum-Redwood House (1700 & 1750)

After Image

Located at 74 Spring Street

The Buffum-Redwood House, c.1700 and 1750, was built on the present site and now stands as a two-story, five-bay building with a center chimney. It was originally constructed as a two-story, end-chimney house on the early Rhode Island one-room plan (also called the hall/chamber plan).

In 1975, the Redevelopment Agency of Newport named the Newport Restoration Foundation (NRF) as the preferred developer of this property, along with the abutting property at 72 Spring Street. After purchasing the property in the same year, NRF restored the building in 1976-77. More Info

Source for info and image: Newport Restoration Foundation

Great Friends Meeting House (1699)

Newport Friends Meetinghouse.JPGThe Great Friends Meeting House, built in 1699, is the oldest surviving house of worship in Rhode Island. Quakers, as they were dubbed by their detractors, were the most influential of Newport’s numerous early congregations. They dominated the political, social, and economic life of the town into the 18th century, and their “plain style” of living was reflected in Newport’s architecture, decorative arts and early landscape. More Info

Source for info and image: Newport Historical Society

Wanton-Lyman-Hazard House (1697)

Wanton-Lyman-Hazard House

Located on corner of Broadway and Stone Street

The oldest surviving house in Newport, the Wanton-Lyman-Hazard House was built for Stephen Mumford ca.1697. Mumford was a merchant and a founding member of Newport’s Seventh Day Baptist congregation.The house passed to Mumford’s son, Stephen Mumford, Jr., and then was sold to Richard Ward, a lawyer who became governor of the colony of Rhode Island in 1741. During the Revolution, Ward’s son Samuel also was elected to that office.

Tours of the house include discussion of recent findings and discoveries, and incorporate information from the ongoing archaeological investigation. Architecture, colonial lifestyles, and family history are also included. More Info

Source for info and image: Newport Historical Society

Solomon Thornton-Elizabeth Wilder House (1683 & 1741)

After Image

Located at 53-55 Thames Street

The Solomon Thornton-Elizabeth Wilder House, with build dates c.1683 and 1741, is a large, seven-bay house with a gable roof and a central chimney. The structure was originally located in Johnston, Rhode Island.

In 1971, the house was donated to the Newport Restoration Foundation (NRF) by the Allendale Mutual Insurance Company of Johnston, RI. The building was then disassembled and put in storage by NRF until a new location could be determined. It was reconstructed and restored on its current site in 1973-74. More Info

Source for info and image: Newport Restoration Foundation

Capt. John Mawdsley House (1680)

John Mawdsley House Newport RI.jpg

Located at 228 Spring Street

The earliest rear part of the house was built on Spring Street before 1680, probably by Jireh Bull. Bull married Godsgift Arnold, daughter of Gov. Benedict Arnold. Captain John Mawdsley, a privateer, lived in the house in the eighteenth century and constructed the large front addition to the house.

Source for info and image: Newport Historical Society

John Bliss House (1679)

 

The John Bliss House is an historic stone ender house on 2 Wilbur Avenue near Bliss Road. The late seventeenth century Jacobean house is one of the oldest surviving buildings in Rhode Island.

The large farmhouse was built around 1679/1680 by Quaker Elder, John Bliss, on land deeded to him by his father-in-law Governor Benedict Arnold, Rhode Island’s first Governor and great grandfather to the Revolutionary War traitor of the same name. John Bliss deeded the property and house to his son in 1715. The house features a large stone chimney at one end. It remains privately owned as of 2015.

Source for info and image: Newport  Historical Society

White Horse Tavern (1673)

exterior new landscapeOriginally constructed in 1652, the tavern began as the two story residence of Francis Brinley, “the massively framed building and quarter acre of land fenced with Pailes at the corner of Farewell and Marlborough Streets” was acquired by William Mayes, Sr. in 1673 and he converted it to a tavern. Not everyone read in those early days, and public establishments identified themselves with symbols – a white horse signified tavern. More Info

Source for info and image: White Horse Tavern

Newport Tower (1670)

DSCN3887 newporttower e.jpgThe Newport Tower is a round stone tower located in Touro Park in Newport, Rhode Island. The tower has received attention due to speculation that it is actually several centuries older and would thus represent evidence of pre-Columbian or Viking trans-oceanic contact.

Source for info and image: Newport Historical Society


Sources: Information and photographs obtained from National Registry Of Historic Places, The Preservation Society Of Newport County and Newport Restoration Foundation where noted.

Have a thought on this? Comment below...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Leave a Reply

More Stories From History