brick-alley-pub-logo

Go to ...

Your source for what’s happening in Newport County and across RI

RSS Feed

October 18, 2018

Newport City Councilors make re-election intentions known (Updated)


holiday-stroll-banner

This story has been updated to reflect that Jeanne-Marie Napolitano’s confirmation that she will seek reflection.

Beginning today candidates for statewide and local office will begin filing their declarations of candidacy, a process that runs through Wednesday (June 27) for local candidates and Thursday for federal and statewide general officeholders. It is the first major step in a process that will culminate in the General Election on November 6.

For Newport City Council, there appears to be just one big surprise in the race for the seven council seats so far.

Mayor Harry Winthrop reportedly announced on Monday that he will retire from public office and not seek re-election this November.

“I would like to thank you, the citizens of Newport, for placing your trust in me and for all the support and inspiration you’ve given me over these years. Serving you as Mayor of Newport was the greatest honor of my life”, Winthrop shared on his Facebook Page on Sunday evening.w

Kate Leonard (Third Ward), Lynn Ceglie (Second Ward), Marco Camacho (At-Large), Jeanne-Marie Napolitano, and Jamie Bova (At-Large) have all confirmed  with What’sUpNewp that they will seek re-election for seats currently held.

“I have thoroughly enjoyed representing the citizens of Newport.  So much has changed over the years, and so many people have been involved to improve the lives of our citizens.  I would like to continue this effort,” Napolitano told What’sUpNewp on Monday.

“It has been an honor to serve as your At-Large City Councilor for the last two years and that is why I am excited to announce my re-election campaign. I have spent my first term working with you and all residents and advocating for your needs. I look forward to continuing this work and am thankful for the opportunity to serve the residents of Newport,” Bova posted in an announcement last week on Facebook.

“I am announcing my run for re-election in Newport’s 2 nd Ward. I have been a strong advocate working hard to be very responsive to my fellow 2 nd Ward residents,” Ceglie wrote in an announcement on June 19th.

Susan Taylor (First Ward) told What’sUpNewp that she would “let you (us) know as soon as I have decided” if she will seek re-election.

Following the filing of Declarations of Candidacy, the state parties and local town committees will meet and offer endorsements to their preferred candidates. Some town committees have already made their endorsements.

On July 3, candidates pick up their nomination papers, which are due back at their local Board of Canvassers, with the required number of signatures on July 16. The following day is the deadline for candidates to withdraw their candidacies.

Have a thought on this? Comment below...

diego's newport

More Stories From City & Government