Become A What’sUpNewp Member
Invest In Responsible Journalism.
By supporting our website you’re investing in the kind of journalism that keeps you informed and keeps politicians honest.
We’re writing to ask for your help to not only maintain the vibrancy of WhatsUpNewp as a significant and reliable source for lifestyle news about Newport, Rhode Island specifically, and Rhode Island generally, but to help us expand our in-depth coverage of significant news events throughout the region.
We recognize the potential of our site, and we understand the importance of using that to provide responsible, well researched, and vital news coverage for our readers.
We are in an environment in which it is easy, sometimes even seen as acceptable, for politicians and government officials to blame the news media for their own failures… failures that have a profound impact on our lives – from the White House and Congress, to state legislatures, city and town councils and school committees.
Since the beginning of this Republic, the media has been the watchdog over much of our society, from government to community organizations. It was Thomas Jefferson who said if he had to choose between government without newspapers and newspapers without government, he would choose the latter. Of course, at that time newspapers were the only media. Today, it is far more extensive, and sites like WhatsUpNewp have become the dominant source of news for a significant portion of our population.
If it weren’t for the news media, no one would have uncovered the Watergate Scandal, released the Pentagon Papers, disclosed Richard Nixon’s income taxes, found pervasive corruption in the Rhode Island court system, written about sexual abuses within the priesthood or at schools like St. George’s in Middletown. The list go on and on.
WhatsUpNewp is already reaching a very significant audience, stretching from New York City to Boston. Last year alone we experienced more than 1.3 million page hits from nearly a half million unique visitors.
As we look to the future, we see a need to expand our readership and coverage. We hope to be able to engage well-qualified journalists to help us cover the news, investigate questionable practices, and serve as your watchdog, while still providing the kind of lifestyle reporting you’ve come to expect from our website.
To achieve this next level, we need your help, we need you to be our partners in providing additional quality, in-depth and significant news coverage. We’ve developed a very affordable membership package that provides certain benefits at each level, with the greatest benefit shared along all platforms, supporting a quality news outlet.
Please consider supporting us with a $5, $10 or $25 a month individual and family membership; or a business membership of $50 or $100 per month.
Here’s are the benefits at each level:
Note: Contributions to What’sUpNewp are not deductible as charitable donations.
$5 a month or $60 per year –
- You’ll have access to a private What’sUpNewp Community Forum Facebook Group, exclusive to What’sUpNewp members.
- You’ll be able to access special deals and discounts, both big and small businesses approach us with exclusive offers that we pass along to members via private email.
You’ll be included in our member listing. We’ve created a page that displays our members and their member number. It’s like buying a brick at a stadium, but not quite as cool.
You’ll be invited to member meetups. These are casual meetups (think happy hour) in which we can nerd out about Newport news and our team can get your feedback on what we can do better to serve you.
- Other surprises. We’re always looking for ways to surprise and delight our members.
$10 a month or $120 a year –
- Everything included in the $5 a month or $60 per year level, plus….
You’ll receive our exclusive monthly newsletter, containing in-depth articles, from lifestyle to community issues.
You’ll be invited to at least one or more events open exclusively to our $10 a month and above supporters.
- Each month, we’ll send an email asking them your opinion on a hot Newport topic. Members will weigh in and we’ll publish interesting members’ thoughts.
$25 a month or $300 a year –
Everything included in the $5 a month and $10 a month levels, plus…
You’ll be invited to attend quarterly events open exclusively to our top-level supporters.
- Pay in advance for 12 months and you’ll receive one t-shirt, hat or reusable shopping bag ( <- the bag is awful handy seeing single-use plastic bags are banned in Newport come November 1st).
$50 per month ($600 a year) business membership provides…
- All the benefits of the $25 individual/family membership.
- Plus invitations to quarterly business networking events.
- And appropriate advertisements on our website.
- Pay in advance for 12 months and you’ll receive two (2) of your choice – t-shirt, hat or reusable shopping bag ( <- the bag is awful handy seeing single-use plastic bags are banned in Newport come November 1st).
$100 per month ($1,200 a year) business membership receives…
- All the benefits of the $50 per month business membership.
- Plus more significant advertisements on our website.
- Four sponsored stories on www.whatsupnewp.com .
- A seat on our business advisory council, helping us create significant events for the business community, and helping us shape our business coverage.
- Pay in advance for 12 months and you’ll receive three (3) of your choice – t-shirt, hat or reusable shopping bag ( <- the bag is awful handy seeing single-use plastic bags are banned in Newport come November 1st).
Just want to make a one-time donation (in any amount) to What’sUpNewp? You can do that HERE.
Want to support us by check instead of a credit card? You can make checks out to “What’sUpNewp, LLC” and mail it to; What’sUpNewp 416 Spring Street Newport, RI 02840.
Thank you for helping us grow so rapidly and for establishing What’sUpNewp as the go-to source for fresh, trusted local news.
Note: Contributions to What’sUpNewp are not deductible as charitable donations