Summer in Newport and live music, they go together like clam cakes and chowder.
There’s no short supply of free live music and movies on any given night in Newport. Here’s a look at all that can be enjoyed outdoors this summer for free or for a small donation.
Schedules subject to change. This story was originally published on May 22nd. It has been updated.
1. Family Night Concert Series at Easton’s Beach: Tuesdays in July and August
All shows begin at 6:00 pm and last for approximately 90 minutes. In the event of rain, shows will be rescheduled – call 401-845-5810 after 4 pm. Free.
- July 9 – Rockin’ Soul Horns Sponsored by Easton’s Beach Snack Bar and Del’s Lemonade
- July 16 – Chicago Total Access Sponsored by Easton’s Beach Snack Bar and Del’s Lemonade
- July 23 – The Night Life Orchestra
- July 30 – Down City Band Sponsored in memory of Ralph Gizzi by his loving family
- August 6 – Sh-Bop Sponsored by Easton’s Beach Snack Bar and Del’s Lemonade
- August 13 – Bar Fly
2. Children’s Night Performances at Easton’s Beach: Thursdays in July and August
All shows begin at 6 pm and last approximately 45 minutes. In the event of rain, shows are held in the Rotunda Ballroom
- July 18 – Featuring Johnny The K
- July 25 – Featuring the Toe Jam Puppet Band
- August 1 – Featuring T-Bone
- August 8 – Magician Tommy James
3. NIMFEST at King Park: Sundays in July & August
All concerts are scheduled on Sundays from 3 pm – 6 pm, there are no rain dates. Bring a chair or enjoy the lawn seating at the park, shows are free and open to the public of all ages! Free.
- July 7 – Swinglane Orchestra
- July 14 – Down City Band
- July 21 – Eddy’s Shoe, Jabbawaukee
- July 28 – October Road: A Tribute to James Taylor
- August 4 – Skinny Millionaires, Barfly
- August 11 – Island Rockers, Digg-It
- August 18 – Felix Brown Band
- August 25 – CeeCee & the Riders, Kane Brothers
4. Waterfront Music Series at King Park
Concerts are presented free by Friends of the Waterfront and the City of Newport, made possible by the Isham Family Fund.
Friday, June 21 – Summer Solstice 5:00-7:00pm
Slackwater String Band
Saturday, June 29 – Family Picnic 3:00-6:00pm
Melissa Chaplin Band
Folsom, Johnny Cash Tribute
Mary Ellen Hawkins
Friday, July 19 – Blues Friday 5:30-7:00pm
James Montgomery Blues Band
Monday, July 29, Bridgefest Folk/Pop 5:00-6:30pm
David Furlong & The Honk
Wednesday, July 31, Bridgefest Blues 5:00-6:30
Saturday, August 17, Cajun & Swing Dance 3:00-6pm
Magnolia Cajun Band
La Mechante et le Connard
Saturday, August 31, Irish Music & Dance 3:00-6pm
The Exiles with Kevin Doyle
Rhode To Dublin
Barry & Pat Callahan
5. Live Music Series at Newport Vineyards: May – September
Head to Newport Vineyards for live music throughout the summer! Sip and savor the day or night while enjoying wine tastings, wine by the glass, beer and sangria, as well as light bites from their kitchens. No cost for entry to the live music or reservation needed, just go and enjoy!
- Wednesday, May 15 (5-8pm): Dan Blakeslee
- Saturday, May 18 (1-4pm): Yacht Club Rejects
- Sunday, May 19 (1-4pm): Josh Grabert
- Wednesday, May 22 (5-8pm): Dave Flamand
- Saturday, May 25 (1-4pm): Dudemanbro
- Sunday, May 26 (1-4pm): Alex2e
- Wednesday, May 29 (5-8pm): Chris Vaillancourt
- Saturday, June 1 (1-4pm): Orange Whip
- Sunday, June 2 (1-4pm): Steve Cerilli
- Wednesday, June 5 (5-8pm): Bill & Gabi
- Saturday, June 8 (1-4pm): Chelley Knight Band
- Sunday, June 9 (1-4pm): The Playboys
- Wednesday, June 12 (5-8pm): Dan Blakeslee
- Saturday, June 15 (1-4pm): Dave Alves
- Sunday, June 16 (1-4pm): Dylan Harley
- Wednesday, June 19 (5-8pm): Chris Vaillancourt
- Saturday, June 22 (1-4pm): Dan Cristo
- Sunday, June 23 (1-4pm): Dudemanbro
- Wednesday, June 26 (5-8pm): Julio Amaro
- Saturday, June 29 (1-4pm): Leslie Grimes and Matt Bruneau
- Sunday, June 30 (1-4pm): The Teledynes
Please check back for more dates to be announced!
6. newportFILM Outdoor Movie Series: Thursdays in June, July and August
Experience award-winning documentaries, live music, interviews with filmmakers and film subjects, great food, and loads of community spirit amongst Aquidneck Island’s beautiful outdoor spaces, every Thursday night, all summer long…for free!
- Schedule to be announced
7. Summer Concert Series at Shops at Long Wharf: May thru October
Enjoy free concerts throughout the summer from 1 pm to 5 pm down at the Shops at Long Wharf.
- May 25 – The 40
- June 1 – The Playboys
- June 8 – Corey Allen Staats
- June 15 – John and Joanne
- June 22 – Half Step Down
- June 29 – In Tandem
- July 5 – The 40
- July 6 – Chelley, Bill, and Dyl
- July 13 – Cee Cee and The Riders
- July 20 – Becky Chase Band
- July 27 – Laniakea
- August 3 – Corey Allen Staat’s
- August 10 – Black Lights
- August 17 – Amy Kucharik
- August 24 – John and Joanne
- August 31 – The Playboys
- September 7 – Half Step Down
- September 14 – Colby Sage
- September 21 – Cee Cee and The Riders
- September 28 – Becky Chase Band
- October 5 – The Blenders
- October 12 – Chelley, Bill, and Dyl
8. Music at The Fort: June – September
The Fort Adams Trust will host a free summer concert series at Fort Adams State Park this summer The concerts will be open to the public to attend from 5 pm to 8 pm each night.
- June 20th – The Kane Brothers
- July 18th – To be announced
- August 22nd – The Ravers
- September 19th – To be announced
9. Jamestown Summer Music Series: Every Sunday in July & August
The town of Jamestown’s 2018 Summer Concert Series at East Ferry Memorial Square will feature the following;
- To be announced
10. Summer Concert Series at Sweetberry Farm: Typically Tuesdays in July and August
- SCHEDULE & DETAILS TO BE ANNOUNCED
11. Busking at Bowen’s Wharf during Newport BridgeFest: July 29th – August 1st
From 6-9pm nightly, during Newport Bridgefest you can get your groove on down at the waterfront on Bowen’s Wharf. FREE, fun, family-friendly.
- Schedule to be announced
12. Newport Music Festival: Select dates in July
Newport Music Festival will present a few family-friendly and free concerts this season.
- July 4 at 7:30 pm at King Park- The Alliance Brass opens Newport Music Festival’s 2019 Summer Season with a rousing free Fourth of July Extravaganza to celebrate America’s birthday. It begins with the National Anthem and includes an array of familiar tunes honoring members of the U.S. Military, and presents selections from composers whose experiences in this country are reflected in their music. From Teichler’s Triumphal Fanfare to Copland’s Rodeo, Gershwin’s Summertime to Freddie Mercury’s Bohemian Rhapsody, this concert will delight listeners young and old. The night closes with Smith’s National Anthem once more as a final salute to our great country.
- July 9th at 6 pm at Newport Art Museum – Bring your family (and a blanket) to enjoy a free evening of music on the Newport Art Museum lawn. Always a favorite!
- July 16th at 6 pm at Newport Art Museum – Bring your family (and a blanket) to enjoy a free evening of music on the Newport Art Museum lawn. Always a favorite! In case of inclement weather, visit www.newportmusic.org