A joint program of the Newport Restoration Foundation and the City of Newport, the annual Doris Duke Preservation Awards encourages excellence in historic preservation within the community by recognizing exemplary historic preservation building and landscape projects and historic preservation activities. This year’s deadline for nominations is May 24, 2019.
In 2019, this will be the 13th year the Newport Restoration Foundation is holding the Doris Duke Historic Preservation Awards, and the organization is calling upon local community members to nominate those projects, completed within the last three years, that have truly enriched and added value to the character of the community. The winners will be acknowledged at an awards ceremony held at Rough Point in Newport on Friday, September 6, 2019. Please see below for award criteria and links to the nomination guidelines.
· Eligible recipients are individuals, non-profit or for-profit organizations/institutions, and federal, state, or local agencies.
· Properties that are currently (or anticipated to be) listed for sale will not be considered.
· All project and/or site work must have been completed within the last three (3) years.
· The awards committee encourages a wide variety of project types for nomination, from small buildings to large, landscapes or streetscapes, education or advocacy projects, sustainable or adaptive preservation, or projects that highlight craftsmanship.
· Up to three (3) awards are made annually, with the awards committee reserving the right to nominate and designate additional awards recipients under extraordinary circumstances.
· Although the awards have traditionally recognized only projects within the city limits of Newport, on occasion the committee will bestow an award upon an especially-deserving project or activity located elsewhere on Aquidneck Island.
Further information about the nomination process, including a listing of the information that must be provided in conjunction with a nomination, can be found at newportrestoration.org/DDPA or by emailing NRF at firstname.lastname@example.org.