What’sUpNewp was launched on this day seven years ago.
Thank you to everyone who has liked, shared, read, commented, and spread the word about what we’re doing over the last 2,555 days.
We may not be perfect, we may not be able to cover everything, but we will always strive to stick to why we were founded – to keep people who love Newport (and now Rhode Island) in the know of what’s happening, new, and to do. It seems that as the year goes by and media disappears, this has become more important, especially from a local point of view.
The media scene has changed a lot since March 12, 2012, it certainly keeps us on our toes and we’re always adapting and changing to fulfill what you deserve and need in information. Thank you for your patience and understanding over the years as we try to be the best we can be.
A few highlights from the last 12 months;
- In May, WhatsUpNewp was among 18 local publishers across the country to be awarded an Impact-Designed Investigative Grant (I-DIG) for investigative reporting from Local Independent Online News Publishers (LION) and the Excellence and Ethics in Journalism Foundation.
- In July, we were named Best Local News Blog (Statewide) by Rhode Island Monthly readers.
- In September, we re-launched What’sUpRhodeIsland as a resource for all that’s happening in Arts, Entertainment, and Lifestyle across Rhode Island.
- In January, we literally worked around-the-clock to bring the most comprehensive coverage on the natural gas outage. We know important that news and information was to those who needed it.
As a small local independent online news site, we’ve broken some of the biggest stories in the area, have changed the way local media reports and publishes, and have hosted some pretty successful events, political forums, and charitable events. All because of your support.
What’sUpNewp continues to be an active member of Local Independent Online News Publishers (LION) and Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE). We’ve traveled to New Jersey, Chicago, and New York City in the last 12 months to learn from the best in the business on how to be the best publisher we can be, and to also share what has worked here in Newport.
Huge kudos and thanks to everyone who has contributed to, and continues to contribute to our site. We are blessed to have some of the best writers, photographers, and contributors that can be found in our city, state, and region.
People often ask how they can support what we do. Here are a few ways;
- Support our advertisers and partners. You can find their ads throughout our website, – click on their ad, shop in their store, visit their restaurant, and support their business – they truly have made what we do possible over the years.
- Become a What’sUpNewp Member – it costs just $5 per month. It doesn’t sound like much but when many of you join together to support us, it helps us pay our growing team of contributors monthly.
- Sign up for our Free What’sUpNewp Newsletter.
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Tell you friends, family and co-workers about us.
We’re honored to live in and be a part of this community and will continue to do what we can to be the best locally owned independent online news publisher out there.
Our 7th year is going to be an exciting one, look for small and big changes in the coming months.
Thanks for joining us on this crazy and fun ride,
Owner, Editor, and Publisher of What’sUpNewp