There are four ordinance changes regarding parking season, rates, and meters that will go in front of Newport City Council on Wednesday night.
I took the show today to discuss and explain those changes recommended by Newport’s City Manager and ask questions from every side on what could soon become the new parking ways across The-City-By-The-Sea.
- Paid parking season for Mary Street parking lot would be extended to operate from March 1 – October 31 (right now it is May 1 – October 31). More Info
- Meters would operate from 9 am to 12 am (right now it is 9 am to 9 pm) for Washington Square, Touro Street, Touro Court, Market Square, Thames Street, and Memorial Blvd from Thames Street to Bellevue Avenue. More Info
- The season for payment at parking meters would be extended from May 1 – October 31, to March 1 – October 31. More Info
- Establish that the fee for the maximum parking time shall not exceed two dollars per hours at downtown meters. Establish that the fee for the maximum parking time shall not exceed three dollars per hour for meters located on Memorial Blvd. at Easton’s Beach.
- The maximum allowable parking time on Washington Street would be increased to 6 hours versus the current 3 hours. More Info
All will be discussed and voted on by Newport City Council on Wednesday, July 11th at 6:30 pm at Newport City Hall. The meeting is open to the public.
What’sUpNewp Radio Edition
Tune into What’sUpNewp Radio Edition with Ryan Belmore every weekday at 1 pm on AM 1540 WADK. It’s where to get the scoop on what’s happening, new and to do in Newport County and across Rhode Island. Special guests, interviews, entertainment, commentary and more make this a can’t-miss hour of live and local radio.”