The following items of business, filed with the City Clerk under the Rules of the Council, will come before the Newport City Council at its regular meeting to be held on April 13, 2016, at 6:30 p.m. at the Pell Elementary School.
CITIZEN’S FORUM: (Speakers must sign in with the City Clerk). The Citizen’s Forum period shall be no longer than fifteen minutes, and citizens may address the Council on one subject only and for no longer than three minutes. Issues to be discussed shall not include matters to be considered or discussed as part of the regular council agenda and must be related to substantive city business. No comments regarding personnel or job performance are allowed.
COUNCIL LIAISON UPDATES
1. CONSENT CALENDAR.
(THE CONSENT CALENDAR IS APPROVED IN ITS ENTIRETY UNLESS THE COUNCIL REMOVES AN ITEM FOR DISCUSSION. ALL LICENSES ARE GRANTED SUBJECT TO COMPLIANCE WITH ORDINANCES #31-80 AND #98-40.
- Minutes of the Meeting held March 9, 2016 (Approve)
- Special Event Licenses:
1) Eastern Surfing Association, d/b/a ESA Surfing Association Contest, Easton’s Beach; April 16, 2016 from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
2) Christine Regan, d/b/a Psychic Fair, Newport Elks Lodge; April 16, 2016 from 12:00 p.m. to 10:00
3) Ronald J. Cudworth, d/b/a Citizen of the Year, Newport Elks Lodge April 23, 2016 from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
4) Newport Film, d/b/a Newport Film Sports, Casino Theatre, 194 Bellevue Ave.; April 29, 2016 from 6:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m., April 30, 2016 from 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., and May 1, 2016 from 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
5) Newport Performing Arts Center/Opera House Theater, d/b/a Hard Hat Happening Fundraiser, Opera House, 19 Touro St.; May 6, 2016 from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
6) Jason M. Flaherty, d/b/a Flea Market, Newport Elks Lodge; May 7, 2016 from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
7) Jesse Simmons, Alix Paul & Ciara Behan, d/b/a 5K Charity Run for ALS, beginning and ending at Rogers High School (route attached); May 8, 2016 from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
8) Amy Hoag, d/b/a Pell PTO End of the Year Party, Newport Elks Lodge; May 13, 2016 from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
9) Kiki McMahan, d/b/a Newport in Bloom Plant Sale, Elks Lodge; May 14, 2016 from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
10) National Museum of American Illustration, d/b/a Celebration of Trees, National Museum of American Illustration, 492 Bellevue Ave.; May 28, 2016 from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
11) SVF Foundation, d/b/a SVF Foundation Annual Visitors Day, 152 Harrison Ave.; June 11, 2016 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
12) Newport Shipyard, d/b/a Newport Bermuda Race Crew Party, Newport Shipyard; June 15, 2016 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
13) RHS Grad Committee, d/b/a Post-Grad Party, Boys & Girls Club of Newport County; June 17, 2016 from 8:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.
14) Newport Shipyard, d/b/a Newport Charter Yacht Show, Newport Shipyard; June 20-24, 2016 from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. daily (June 23, 2016 ending at 9:00 p.m.)
15) Fort Adams Trust, d/b/a Annual Summer Solstice Fundraiser, Fort Adams State Park; June 24, 2016 from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
16) Water Brothers, d/b/a Surf Fest VI, Fort Adams State Park; July 9, 2016 from 1:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. (Rain Date- July 10, 2016)
17) The Rhode Island Arts Foundation, d/b/a Newport Music Festival Gala: Rhapsody at Rosecliff, Rosecliff, 548 Bellevue Ave.; July 15, 2016 from 7:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
18) National Museum of American Illustration, d/b/a NMAI Benefit Auction, National Museum of American Illustration, 492 Bellevue Ave.; July 21, 2016 from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
19) Newport Shipyard, d/b/a Candy Store Cup-Superyacht Edition, Newport Shipyard; July 28-30, 2016 from 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (July 30 ending at 10:00 p.m.)
20) Fort Adams Trust & Coastal Extreme Brewing LLC, d/b/a Newport Fort Fest, Fort Adams State Park; August 20, 2016 from 2:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
21) Star Kids Scholarship Program, d/b/a Star Ride, Cluny School; September 11, 2016 from 7:00 a.m. to noon
22) Enviro-Sports Productions, d/b/a Newport Sharkfest Swim, Perotti Park to King Park; September 18, 2016 from 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Banner Permit, Salve Regina University, June 3, 4 & 5, 2016 between The Red Parrott and Midtown Oyster Bar advertising Alumni Reunion Weekend
- 2016 Holiday Selling License Renewals (list attached)
- 2016 Second-hand License Renewals (list attached):
- Tattoo License Operator, Renewal, Doreen Lindgren, 31 Long Wharf Mall
LICENSES & PERMITS
- VictualingLicense, New, Binge BBQ, LLC, d/b/a Binge BBQ, 12 Broadway
- 2016 Sidewalk Café Renewals:
- a) BoruNoodles LLC, d/b/a BoruNoodle Bar, 36 Broadway
- b) Stone Soup LLC, d/b/a Caleb and Broad, 162 Broadway
- c) Newport Bubble Tea, LLC, d/b/a Empire Tea & Coffee, 22 Broadway
- d) ETC Group, LLC, d/b/a Empire Tea & Coffee, 112 William St.
- e) Fastnet, Inc., d/b/a Fastnet, The, 1-3 Broadway
- f) 2paddysandacanuck, LLC, d/b/a Fifth Element, The, 107-11 Broadway (new configuration of sidewalk café along the building)
- g) Monkey Business, LLC, d/b/a Hungry Monkey, The, 124 Broadway
- h) Jimmy’s Saloon, LLC, d/b/a Jimmy’s Saloon, 37 Memorial Blvd.
- i) Leinster, Inc., d/b/a Malt, 150-154 Broadway
- j) HowleyBread, d/b/a PaneraBread, Long Wharf Mall
- k) Restaurant Bouchard Inc., d/b/a Restaurant Bouchard & Revolving Door, 505-509 Thames St.
- l) Scratch LLC, d/b/a Scratch Kitchen and Catering, 88 Broadway
- m) Teas and Javas, LLC, d/b/a Teas and Javas, 282 Thames St.
- n) Washington Square Café and Baking Co., d/b/a Washington Square Café and Baking Co., 22 Washington Sq.
4. APPOINTMENTS TO BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
Newport Hospitality Commission– 4 vacancies- Anne DuBose Joslin
Historic Cemetery Advisory Commission-7 vacancies-Karl A. Bjork, Lewis Keen, Ingrid Peters, Jean Quinn, Theresa G. Stokes, Mary Jo Valdes
Note: Vacancies currently or soon will exist on the following Boards and Commissions:
Accessibility Advisory Committee, Ad Hoc Committee on Waste Water and Storm Water Improvements, Affirmative Action Commission, Beach Commission, Charter Review Commission, Finance Review Committee, Harbor Walk Commission, Historic Cemetery Advisory Commission, Historic District Commission, Hospitality Commission, Tree and Open Space Commission, Zoning Board
- Supporting 2016 Senate Bill S2686 which will require convenience stores to collect the meals and beverage tax-J. Napolitano, M. Camacho, J. Florez, K. Leonard, J. McLaughlin
- Requesting the RI General Assembly to amend RIGL 44-18-18.1, entitled, “Local meals and beverage tax” – J. Napolitano, M. Camacho, J. McLaughlin
- Supporting House Bill H-7243 and Senate Bill S-2761 regarding prohibiting concealed weapons on school property for non-law enforcement personnel- J. Napolitano, M. Camacho, J. McLaughlin
- Accepting the Employment Agreement between the City of Newport and Joseph J. Nicholson, Jr.
- Amending Chapter 3.12.020 of the Codified Ordinances entitled “City Manager to maintain specifications-Enumeration of classes”-Council 94 Municipal Employees Classification Plan (Second Reading)
- Amending Chapter 3.16.060 of the Codified Ordinances entitled, “Personnel”- Council 94 Municipal Employees Local 911 (Second Reading)
COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE CITY MANAGER
- Action #5507/16 RE: Connection Street – Parking Restrictions on Specific Streets (w/accompanying ordinance)
- Action #5508/16 RE: Wheatland Court – Parking Restrictions on Specific Streets (w/accompanying ordinance)
- Action #5509/16 RE: Proposal Award – Engineering Services for Drainage Investigation and Flooding Analysis-Whitwell Avenue Area (w/accompanying resolution)
- Action #5510/16 RE: Amendment #1 – Contract – Easton Pond Dam Spillways and the Lawton Valley Reservoir Dam Evaluation and Design Project (w/accompanying resolution)
ADJOURN AS COUNCIL AND CONVENE AS BOARD OF LICENSE COMMISSIONERS
BOARD OF LICENSE COMMISSIONERS
- Class F-1 Daily Liquor Licenses:
- a) International Tennis Hall of Fame, LLC, d/b/a Sports Film Festival, 194 Bellevue Ave., April 29 & 30, 2016 from 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. and April 30, 2016 from 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- b) Fort Adams Trust, d/b/a Annual Summer Solstice Fundraiser, Fort Adams State Park June 24, 2016 from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- c) Fort Adams Trust, d/b/a Newport Fort Fest, Fort Adams State Park; August 20, 2016 from 2:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Communication from The Barking Crab Newport, LLC, re: Change in d/b/a from The Barking Crab to The Boat Yard (Receive and make part of licensee’s file)
LICENSES AND PERMITS
- Class ASunday Selling License Renewals:
- a) Newport Prescription Center, Inc., d/b/a Island Wine & Spirits, 291 Broadway
- b) Slippery Slope Spirits, LLC, d/b/a SpringStreet Spirits, 137 Spring St. Unit S-1