The Champions is an inspirational story about the pitbulls rescued from the brutal fighting ring of Atlanta Falcon’s star quarterback Michael Vick, and those who risked it all to save them, despite pressure from PETA and The Humane Society of the United States to euthanize the dogs. It is a story of second-chances, redemption and hope. This uplifting documentary takes us on a journey about much more than just dogs—about prejudice, being misunderstood, the power of resilience, and the significance of the relationship we as humans have with animals.
Starting at 6:00PM, there will be a pre-film reception with Modelo beers, Tom Gore & Nobilo wines & hors d’oeuvres
At 7:15PM, the film screening will begin followed by panel discussion moderated by Christie Smith, Executive Director of Potter League for Animals, plus a visit from one of the stars of the film, Cherry the pitbull!
Panelists for the event include:
- Darcy Dennett, Director of THE CHAMPIONS
- Heather Gutshall, Executive Director of Handsome Dan’s Rescue, Dog Trainer & Behavior Consultant at Outbound Hounds
- Lee Greenwood, Legislate Attorney at Best Friends Animal Society
- Paul Fiaccone, owner of Cherry (a dog featured in the film, formerly owned by Michael Vick)
- $15 – Film + Q&A only
- $25 – Pre-film reception + Film + Q&A