Summer in Newport and live music, they go together like clam cakes and chowder.
There’s no short supply of free live music and movies on any given night in Newport. Here’s a look at all that can be enjoyed outdoors this summer for free or for a small donation.
Schedules subject to change.
Note – This story was originally published on June 15th, it was updated on June 21st to include the new Waterfront Concerts at KIng Park. Times for Music On The Porch was updated from 6 pm to 8 pm to 5 pm to 7 pm. What’sUpNewp originally received the wrong times for this event. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Family Night Concert Series at Easton’s Beach: Tuesdays in July and August
All shows begin at 6:00 pm and last for approximately 90 minutes. In the event of rain, shows will be rescheduled – call 401-845-5810 after 4 pm. Free. More info can be found at http://www.cityofnewport.com/departments/recreation/recreation-activities.
- Tuesday, July 10th – The Rockin’ Soul Horns
- Tuesday, July 17th – Cold Sweat
- Tuesday, July 24th – Sh-Bop
- Tuesday, July 31st – Down City Band
- Tuesday, August 7th – Black Tie Band
- Tuesday, August 13th – Dick Lupino Band
Children’s Night Performances at Easton’s Beach: Thursdays in July and August
All shows begin at 6 pm and last approximately 45 minutes. In the event of rain, shows are held in the Rotunda Ballroom. For more information, visit http://www.cityofnewport.com/departments/recreation/recreation-activities.
- Thursday, July 19th – Johnny The K
- Thursday, July 26th – Tommy James
- Thursday, August 2nd – Little Red Wagon
- Thursday, August 9th – Keith Munslow
NIMFEST at King Park: Sundays in July & August
All concerts are scheduled on Sundays from 3 pm – 6 pm, there are no rain dates. Bring a chair or enjoy the lawn seating at the park, shows are free and open to the public of all ages! Free.
- Sunday, July 1 – Ramblin’ Rhode, Grace Morrison Trio, and Slackwater String Band
- Sunday, July 8 – Radios Islands and Melissa Chaplin Band
- Sunday, July 15th – John Hillman Band, Cee Cee & The Riders
- Sunday, July 22nd – Zoink Zulak & Glactic Shag, Island Rockers
- Sunday, July 29th – Otis Read Trio, Joyce Katzberg, and The Gnomes
- Sunday, August 5th – Kane Brothers, Lizzie James & The Greystone Rail
- Sunday, August 12th – Joe Colpitt, The Playboys
- Sunday, August 19th – Down City Band
- Sunday, August 25th – Julio Amaro, The Ravers
Waterfront Concerts at King Park
New this year are the waterfront concerts at King Park, which is presented by Friends of the Waterfront, City of Newport with a gift from the Isham Family Fund.
Fireside Evening Music Series at Newport Vineyards: Wednesdays in June thru September
Head to Newport Vineyards for extended Taproot Brewing Co. and winery tasting room hours each Wednesday 5 pm – 8 pm through the summer! Enjoy live music near the fire pits while overlooking the vines. Sip and savor the night while enjoying wine tastings, wine by the glass, beer and sangria, as well as light bites from their kitchens. No cost for entry to the live music or reservation needed, just go and enjoy! More info at https://www.newportvineyards.com/calendar-of-events.
- Wednesday, June 27: The Carleans
- Wednesday, July 11: The Bucks Acoustic
- Wednesday, July 18: Los Duderinos
- Wednesday, July 25: Mosa
- Wednesday, August 1: Allied Soul ft. Evan Cole
- Wednesday, August 8: EBO
- Wednesday, August 15: The Teledynes
- Wednesday, August 22: Dave Alves
- Wednesday, August 29: Chris Vaillancourt
- Check back for September artists, to be announced!
Weekend Music Series at Newport Vineyards:Saturdays & Sundays in June thru September
Savor the season, glass in hand, enjoying live music overlooking the vines from 1 pm to 4 pm every Saturday and Sunday. More info at https://www.newportvineyards.com/calendar-of-events/summer-live-music-series-2.
- Saturday, June 16: Leslie + Matt
- Sunday, June 17: Steve Allain
- Saturday, June 23: Colby + Keila
- Sunday, June 24: Zan Ricky
- Saturday, June 30: Grayson Ty
- Sunday, July 1: Alex 2e
- Saturday, July 7: The Bucks Band
- Sunday, July 8: The Playboys
- Saturday, July 14: The Ryan Leddick Trio
- Sunday, July 15: Luke + Mike
- Saturday, July 21: Chris Vaillancourt
- Sunday, July 22: The New System
- Saturday, July 28: Yacht Club Rejects
- Sunday, July 29: La Méchante et le Connard
- Saturday, August 4: Orange Whip
- Sunday, August 5: Alex 2e
- Saturday, August 11: TBA
- Sunday, August 12: Briana White
- Saturday, August 18: TBA
- Sunday, August 19: Grayson Ty
- Saturday, August 25: TBA
- Sunday, August 26: TBA
- Saturday, September 1: Yacht Club Rejects
- Sunday, September 2: The Z-Boys
- Sunday, September 9: Alex 2e
newportFILM Outdoor Movie Series: Thursdays in June, July and August
Experience award-winning documentaries, live music, interviews with filmmakers and film subjects, great food, and loads of community spirit amongst Aquidneck Island’s beautiful outdoor spaces, every Thursday night, all summer long…for free!
Won’t You Be My Neighbor?
35 Golden Hill St., Newport
7:25 pm – Live music by Silverteeth
8:40 pm – Film + Q&A with director Morgan Neville & producer Nicholas Ma
The Price of Everything
Newport Art Museum Lawn
76 Bellevue Ave., Newport
7:20 pm – Live music by Dave Flamand
8:35 pm – Film + Q&A with director Nathaniel Kahn
Three Identical Strangers
O’Hare Lawn, Salve Regina University
100 Ochre Court Point., Newport
7:20 pm – Live music by The Bucks
8:35pm – Film + Q&A
Far From The Tree
The Elms Lawn
367 Bellevue Ave., Newport
7:20 pm – Live music by Julio Amaro
8:35 pm – Film + Q&A with film subject and author Andrew Solomon
The Serengeti Rules
Newport Beach House: A Longwood Venue
55 Purgatory Rd., Middletown
7:10 pm – Live music by La Mechante et le Connard
8:25 pm – Film + Q&A
*In partnership with 11th Hour Racing
Two Trains Runnin’
5th Annual Picnic Contest
St. Michael’s Country Day School Lawn
180 Rhode Island Ave., Newport
6:50 pm – Live music by Cee Cee & the Riders
8:20 pm – Film + Q&A with producer and writer Benjamin Hedin
548 Bellevue Ave., Newport
6:55 pm – Live music by The Harriet Manice Band
8:10pm – Film + Q&A with director Matt Tyrnauer & producer Corey Reeser
Eisenhower House Lawn
1 Lincoln Dr., Newport
6:50 pm – Live music by Randy Robbins
8:05pm – Film + Q&A with directors Cristina Constantini & Darren Foster
St. George’s School Lawn
372 Purgatory Rd., Middletown
6:40 pm – Live music by Lainey Dionne
7:55 pm – Film + Q&A with director Cameron Yates & producers Phillipp Engelhorn and Laura Coxson
Life In The Doghouse
Newport International Polo Grounds
715 East Main Rd., Portsmouth
6:40 pm – Live music
7:55 pm – Film + Q&A with director Ron Davis & film subjects Ron Danta and Danny Robertshaw
*In partnership with Potter League for Animals
Bethany Hamilton: Unstoppable
Drive-In Movie Night
Second Beach Parking Lot
315 Sachuest Point Rd., Middletown
6:20 pm – Live music
7:35 pm – Film + Q&A with director Aaron Lieber
125 Wellington Ave., Newport
6:10 pm – Live music
7:25 pm – Film + Q&A
*In partnership with 11th Hour Racing
Summer Concert Series at Shops at Long Wharf: June thru October
Enjoy free concerts throughout the summer from 1 pm to 5 pm down at the Shops at Long Wharf.
- Saturday, June 16th – In Tandem
- Saturday, June 23 – Chelley, Bill, and Dyl
- Saturday, June 30th – Amy Kucharik
- Saturday, July 7th – Laniakea
- Sunday, July 8th – Austin Wells
- Saturday, July 14th – The New 40
- Saturday, July 21st – Cee Cee & The Riders
- Saturday, July 28th – Zan Ricky
- Saturday, August 4th – Half Step Down
- Saturday, August 11th – The Playboys
- Saturday, August 19th – The New 40
- Saturday, August 25th – Zan Ricky
- Saturday, September 1 – Cee Cee & The Riders
- Saturday, September 8th – John & Joanne
- Saturday, September 15th – Becky Chase Band
- Saturday, September 22nd – Colby & Kila
- Saturday September 29th – Ryan Charles
- Saturday, October 6th – Brian Scott
Music On The Porch: Wednesdays and Thursday in June, July & August
The Fort Adams Trust will host a free summer concert series at the Eisenhower House in Fort Adams State Park themed and titled, “Music on the Porch.” The concerts will be open to the public to attend from 5 pm to 7 pm each night.
- Thursday, June 21st – United States Navy Band
- Thursday, July 19th – Lois Vaughan Jazz Quartet
- Thursday, August 16th – Elderly Brothers
Jamestown Summer Music Series: Every Sunday in July & August
The town of Jamestown’s 2018 Summer Concert Series at East Ferry Memorial Square will feature the following;
- Sunday, July 8th – Nightlife Orchestra
- Sunday, July 15th – The Kohaug All Stars
- Sunday, July 22nd – Brass Attack
- Sunday, July 29th – Gemini
- Sunday, August 5th – John Connor & The Irish
- Sunday, August 12th – Greg Abate
- Sunday, August 19th – South County Rounders
- Sunday, August 26th – Jamestown Community Band
Ballard Park Music Month: Wednesdays in July
Jenkins Construction’s Music Month at Ballard Park kicks off on Tuesday, July 10th and includes three free concerts in the meadow of Newport’s Ballard Park this July.
Tuesday, July 10, 2018 10 to 11 am – Jenkins Construction presents A Concert by The Toe Jam Puppet Band
Bubbles, hula hoops, squirt guns and costumes will have kids moovin’ and groovin’ with this trio! The Toe Jam Puppet Band encourages kids and parents to sing and dance along as they entertain with a unique combination of original songs and storytelling. Seating is on the grass – bring a blanket or lawn chair and arrive 15 minutes prior to the performance to ensure a place to park and time to make your way down to the quarry meadow. Use 21 Hazard Road entrance. Smoking is prohibited. FREE
Wednesday, July 18, 2018 7 to 8:30 pm – Jenkins Construction presents A Concert by Chelley, Bill & Dyl
One of Newport’s most popular bands playing blues, rock, reggae and pop. Chelley Smith always ties the melodies together with style and soul. And, when combined with the sounds of bassist Dylan Roy and drummer Bill Cote audiences are sure to have a swinging good time! Rain date: 7/19. Seating is on the grass – bring a blanket or lawn chair and arrive 15 minutes prior to the performance to ensure a place to park and time to make your way down to the quarry meadow. Use 21 Hazard Road entrance. Smoking is prohibited. Picnic dinners welcome. Please “pack them in, pack them out”. FREE
Wednesday, July 25, 2018 7 to 8:30 pm – Jenkins Construction presents A Concert by The Ravers
A family-friendly reggae concert featuring The Ravers. Ravers all-stars Carey Bowman, Adam Alechio, Ray Gennari, Doug Ernest and others will take to the stage on Wednesday, July 25th from 7 to 8:30 pm. Come help them celebrate their 30th anniversary! Rain date 7/26. Seating is on the grass – bring a blanket or lawn chair and arrive 15 minutes prior to the performance to ensure a place to park and time to make your way down to the quarry meadow. Use 21 Hazard Road entrance Smoking is prohibited. Picnic dinners welcome. Please “pack them in, pack them out”. FREE
Movies on The Rocks at Ballard Park:Wednesdays in August
Movies On The Rocks kicks off at Ballard Park on August 8th kicks off and includes three movies in the meadow of Newport’s Ballard Park this August
Wednesday, August 8, 2018
MOVIES ON THE ROCKS: Rocky
Dusk (approximately 8:00 pm)
Sylvester Stallone stars as Rocky Balboa, a struggling boxer trying to make the big time. When heavyweight champion Apollo Creed visits Philadelphia, his managers want to set up an exhibition match between Creed and Balboa, touting the fight as a chance for a “nobody” to become a “somebody”. The match is supposed to be easily won by Creed but someone forgot to tell Rocky, who sees this as his only shot at the big time. 1976. 120 minutes. Rated PG.
Seating is on the grass- bring a blanket or lawn chair and arrive 15 minutes prior to the screening to ensure a place to park and time to make your way down to the quarry meadow. Picnic dinners welcome. Please “pack it in, pack it out”. Smoking is prohibited in Ballard Park. Enter at 21 Hazard Road entrance of Ballard Park. Rain date 8/9. FREE
Wednesday, August 15, 2018
MOVIES ON THE ROCKS: The Princess Bride
Dusk (approximately 8:00 pm)
The Princess Bride is a 1987 American romantic comedy fantasy adventure film directed and co-produced by Rob Reiner. Adapted by William Goldman from his 1973 novel of the same name, it tells the story of a farmhand named Westley, accompanied by befriended companions along the way, who must rescue his true love Princess Buttercup from the odious Prince Humperdinck. The film effectively preserves the novel’s narrative style by presenting the story as a book being read by a grandfather (Peter Falk) to his sick grandson (Fred Savage). Rated PG; 98 minutes. Seating is on the grass- bring a blanket or lawn chair and arrive 15 minutes prior to the screening to ensure a place to park and time to make your way down to the quarry meadow. Picnic dinners welcome. Please “pack it in, pack it out”. Smoking is prohibited in Ballard Park. Use 21 Hazard Road entrance of Ballard Park. Rain date 8/16. FREE
Wednesday, August 22, 2018
MOVIES ON THE ROCKS: Bambi
Dusk (approximately 8:00 pm)
The animated story of Bambi, a young deer hailed as the ‘Prince of the Forest’ at his birth. As Bambi grows, he makes friends with the other animals of the forest, learns the skills needed to survive, and even finds love. One day, however, the hunters come, and Bambi must learn to be as brave as his father if he is to lead the other deer to safety. 1942. Rated G. 70 minutes. Seating is on the grass- bring a blanket or lawn chair and arrive 15 minutes prior to the screening to ensure a place to park and time to make your way down to the quarry meadow. Picnic dinners welcome. Please “pack it in, pack it out”. Smoking is prohibited in Ballard Park. Use 21 Hazard Road entrance of Ballard Park. Rain date 8/23. FREE
Summer Concert Series at Sweetberry Farm: TypicallyTuesdays in July and August
SCHEDULE & DETAILS TO BE ANNOUNCED
Busking at Bowen’s Wharf during Newport BridgeFest – July 30th – August 2nd
From 6-9pm nightly, during Newport Bridgefest you can get your groove on down at the waterfront on Bowen’s Wharf. FREE, fun, family-friendly. Schedule to be announced
Become A What’sUpNewp Member
Stay Up To Date. Be Part Of A Community. Show Your Support.
You want to know what’s happening, new, and to do in your community. We make it easy.
When you become a What’sUpNewp Member, you get:
- What’sUpNewp Morning Edition, our hand-crafted and curated email newsletter that gets you up-to-speed on all that’s happening, new, and to do across Newport County and across Rhode Island each morning, exclusive to What’sUpNewp members.
- Breaking News Alerts, we’ll email you from time-to-time with news and stories we think you need to know about immediately.
- You’ll have access to a private What’sUpNewp Community Forum Facebook Group, exclusive to What’sUpNewp members.
- You’ll be able to access special deals and discounts, both big and small businesses approach us with exclusive offers that we pass along to members via private email.
- Access to some of our What’sUpNewp content before anyone else.
- Invites, access, and special offers to attend What’sUpNewp events.
- Other surprises. We’re always looking for ways to surprise and delight our members.
And it costs just $5 per month, that’s just $1.25 per week to help to not only maintain the vibrancy of WhatsUpNewp as a significant and reliable source for lifestyle news about Newport, Rhode Island specifically, and Rhode Island generally, but to help us expand our in-depth coverage of significant news events in our community and throughout the area.